Carbon Monoxide From Faulty Boiler Sickens Two Families, Family Dog

Two Churchill Avenue families and a family dog were sickened Dec. 15 when the boiler in the basement of their home malfunctioned and emitted carbon monoxide, police said.

Police were alerted at about 11:42 a.m. by staff from an area hospital, in which the staff requested a welfare check on residents at the home, according to a press release from Franklin Township police.

The staff told police that five members of a family living in the house came to the hospital in the early morning hours suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the release, and said that more people may be in the house.

Police, fire fighters from Community Volunteer Fire Company and members of the township Office of Fire Prevention responded and found three adults, aged 37, 36 and 25, three juveniles aged 14, 11 and 5 and the family dog suffering from various stages of illness, according to the release.

The family was taken to an area hospital for treatment, and the dog was taken to an area emergency veterinary clinic where it was treated and released, according to the release.

An investigation revealed the the family living downstairs was alerted by a CO alarm, then went to the hospital without telling the upstairs residents, police, teh fire company or PSE&G, police said. The upstairs residence did not have a CO alarm, police said.

PSE&G representatives responded later and determined that the carbon monoxide as coming from the boiler in the home’s basement, police said. Service was disconnected so repairs could be made.

The Franklin Township Office of Fire Prevention and the Franklin Township Zoning Department have an on-going investigation into this incident, according to the release.


Your Thoughts


Please Support Independent Journalism In Franklin Township!

No other media outlet covering Franklin Township brings you the depth of information presented by the Franklin Reporter & Advocate. Period. We are the only truly independent media serving the Eight Villages.

But we can only do that with your support. Please consider a yearly subscription to our online news site; at $37 a year, it’s one of the best investments you can make in our community.

To subscribe, please click here.

Other News From The Eight Villages …